Interacting effects of unobserved heterogeneity and individual stochasticity in the life-history of the Southern fulmar
Aubry, Lise M.
MetadataShow full item record
Individuals are heterogeneous in many ways. Some of these differences are incorporated as individual states (e.g., age, size, breeding status) in population models. However, substantial amounts of heterogeneity may remain unaccounted for, due to genetic, maternal, or environmental factors. Such unobserved heterogeneity (UH) affects the behavior of heterogeneous cohorts via intra-cohort selection and contributes to inter-individual variance in demographic outcomes such as longevity and lifetime reproduction. Variance is also produced by individual stochasticity, due to random events in the life cycle of wild organisms, yet no study thus far has attempted to decompose the variance in demographic outcomes into contributions from unobserved heterogeneity and individual stochasticity for an animal population in the wild. We developed a stage-classified matrix population model for the Southern fulmar breeding on Ile des Pétrels, Antarctica. We applied multi-event, multi-state markrecapture methods to estimate a finite mixture model accounting for UH in all vital rates and Markov chain methods to calculate demographic outcomes. Finally, we partitioned the variance in demographic outcomes into contributions from unobserved heterogeneity and individual stochasticity. We identify three UH groups, differing substantially in longevity, lifetime reproductive output, age at first reproduction, and in the proportion of the life spent in each reproductive state. 14% of individuals at fledging have a delayed but high probability of recruitment and extended reproductive lifespan. 67% of individuals are less likely to reach adulthood, recruit late and skip breeding often but have the highest adult survival rate. 19% of individuals recruit early and attempt to breed often. They are likely to raise their offspring successfully, but experience a relatively short lifespan. Unobserved heterogeneity only explains a small fraction of the variances in longevity (5.9%), age at first reproduction (3.7%) and lifetime reproduction (22%). UH can affect the entire life cycle, including survival, development, and reproductive rates, with consequences over the lifetime of individuals and impacts on cohort dynamics. The respective role of unobserved heterogeneity versus individual stochasticity varies greatly among demographic outcomes. We discuss the implication of our finding for the gradient of life-history strategies observed among species and argue that individual differences should always be accounted for in demographic studies of wild populations.
Author Posting. © The Author(s), 2017. This is the author's version of the work. This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License. The definitive version was published in Journal of Animal Ecology 87 (2018): 212-222, doi:10.1111/1365-2656.12752.
Suggested CitationPreprint: Jenouvrier, Stephanie, Aubry, Lise M., Barbraud, Christophe, Weimerskirch, Henri, Caswell, Hal, "Interacting effects of unobserved heterogeneity and individual stochasticity in the life-history of the Southern fulmar", 2017-09-19, https://doi.org/10.1111/1365-2656.12752, https://hdl.handle.net/1912/9246
The following license files are associated with this item:
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Relationship between individual chamber and whole shell Mg/Ca ratios in Trilobatus sacculifer and implications for individual foraminifera palaeoceanographic reconstructions Rustic, Gerald T.; Polissar, Pratigya J.; Ravelo, Ana Christina; de Menocal, Peter B. (Nature Research, 2021-01-11)Precisely targeted measurements of trace elements using laser ablation inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (LA-ICPMS) reveal inter-chamber heterogeneities in specimens of the planktic foraminifer Trilobatus ...
Field assay experiment data to determine if the presence of larger individuals of T. hardwicke adversely affects the survival of focal individuals in Moorea, French Polynesia from 2005-2007 (CDD_in_Reef_Fish project) Geange, Shane (Biological and Chemical Oceanography Data Management Office (BCO-DMO). Contact: email@example.com, 2021-07-26)This dataset is from a study examining the influence of structural refuge, competition and their interaction on the early post-settlement survival of transplanted Thalassoma hardwicke (the sixbar wrasse). For a complete ...
Insights on coccolith chemistry from a new ion probe method for analysis of individually picked coccoliths Stoll, Heather M.; Shimizu, Nobumichi; Arevalos, Alicia; Matell, Nora; Banasiak, Adam; Zeren, Seth (American Geophysical Union, 2007-06-30)The elemental chemistry of calcareous nannofossils may provide valuable information on past ocean conditions and coccolithophorid physiology, but artifacts from noncoccolith particles and from changing nannofossil assemblages ...