Interactions between land use change and carbon cycle feedbacks
Mahowald, Natalie M.
Randerson, James T.
Doney, Scott C.
Ward, Daniel S.
Hoffman, Forrest M.
MetadataShow full item record
Using the Community Earth System Model, we explore the role of human land use and land cover change (LULCC) in modifying the terrestrial carbon budget in simulations forced by Representative Concentration Pathway 8.5, extended to year 2300. Overall, conversion of land (e.g., from forest to croplands via deforestation) results in a model-estimated, cumulative carbon loss of 490 Pg C between 1850 and 2300, larger than the 230 Pg C loss of carbon caused by climate change over this same interval. The LULCC carbon loss is a combination of a direct loss at the time of conversion and an indirect loss from the reduction of potential terrestrial carbon sinks. Approximately 40% of the carbon loss associated with LULCC in the simulations arises from direct human modification of the land surface; the remaining 60% is an indirect consequence of the loss of potential natural carbon sinks. Because of the multicentury carbon cycle legacy of current land use decisions, a globally averaged amplification factor of 2.6 must be applied to 2015 land use carbon losses to adjust for indirect effects. This estimate is 30% higher when considering the carbon cycle evolution after 2100. Most of the terrestrial uptake of anthropogenic carbon in the model occurs from the influence of rising atmospheric CO2 on photosynthesis in trees, and thus, model-projected carbon feedbacks are especially sensitive to deforestation.
Author Posting. © American Geophysical Union, 2017. This article is posted here by permission of American Geophysical Union for personal use, not for redistribution. The definitive version was published in Global Biogeochemical Cycles 31 (2017): 96–113, doi:10.1002/2016GB005374.
Suggested CitationArticle: Mahowald, Natalie M., Randerson, James T., Lindsay, Keith, Munoz, Ernesto, Doney, Scott C., Lawrence, Peter, Schlunegger, Sarah, Ward, Daniel S., Lawrence, David, Hoffman, Forrest M., "Interactions between land use change and carbon cycle feedbacks", Global Biogeochemical Cycles 31 (2017): 96–113, DOI:10.1002/2016GB005374, https://hdl.handle.net/1912/8868
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Influence of ocean circulation changes on the inter-annual variability of American eel larval dispersal Rypina, Irina I.; Pratt, Lawrence J.; Lozier, M Susan (John Wiley & Sons, 2016-06-24)American eel (Anguilla rostrata) complete their life cycle by migrating from the east coast of North America to Sargasso Sea, where they spawn planktonic eggs and dye. Larvae that develop from eggs need to return to North ...
Perceptual stability during dramatic changes in olfactory bulb activation maps and dramatic declines in activation amplitudes Homma, Ryota; Cohen, Lawrence B.; Kosmidis, E. K.; Youngentob, S. L. (2007-03-30)We measured the concentration dependence of the ability of rats to identify odorants and compared these results with the calcium signals in the nerve terminals of the olfactory receptor neurons. Odorant identification ...
Preindustrial-control and twentieth-century carbon cycle experiments with the Earth System Model CESM1(BGC) Lindsay, Keith; Bonan, Gordon B.; Doney, Scott C.; Hoffman, Forrest M.; Lawrence, David M.; Long, Matthew C.; Mahowald, Natalie M.; Moore, J. Keith; Randerson, James T.; Thornton, Peter E. (American Meteorological Society, 2014-12-15)Version 1 of the Community Earth System Model, in the configuration where its full carbon cycle is enabled, is introduced and documented. In this configuration, the terrestrial biogeochemical model, which includes ...