Intentional versus unintentional nitrogen use in the United States : trends, efficiency and implications
Houlton, Benjamin Z.
Finzi, Adrien C.
Melillo, Jerry M.
Rosenstock, Todd S.
Sobota, Daniel J.
Townsend, Alan R.
MetadataShow full item record
Human actions have both intentionally and unintentionally altered the global economy of nitrogen (N), with both positive and negative consequences for human health and welfare, the environment and climate change. Here we examine long-term trends in reactive N (Nr) creation and efficiencies of Nr use within the continental US. We estimate that human actions in the US have increased Nr inputs by at least ~5 times compared to pre-industrial conditions. Whereas N2 fixation as a by-product of fossil fuel combustion accounted for ~1/4 of Nr inputs from the 1970s to 2000 (or ~7 Tg N year−1), this value has dropped substantially since then (to <5 Tg N year−1), owing to Clean Air Act amendments. As of 2007, national N use efficiency (NUE) of all combined N inputs was equal to ~40 %. This value increases to 55 % when considering intentional N inputs alone, with food, industrial goods, fuel and fiber production accounting for the largest Nr sinks, respectively. We estimate that 66 % of the N lost during the production of goods and services enters the air (as NO x , NH3, N2O and N2), with the remaining 34 % lost to various waterways. These Nr losses contribute to smog formation, acid rain, eutrophication, biodiversity declines and climate change. Hence we argue that an improved national NUE would: (i) benefit the US economy on the production side; (ii) reduce social damage costs; and (iii) help avoid some major climate change risks in the future.
© The Author(s), 2012. This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License. The definitive version was published in Biogeochemistry 114 (2013): 11-23, doi:10.1007/s10533-012-9801-5.
Suggested CitationArticle: Houlton, Benjamin Z., Boyer, Elizabeth, Finzi, Adrien C., Galloway, James, Leach, Allison, Liptzin, Daniel, Melillo, Jerry M., Rosenstock, Todd S., Sobota, Daniel J., Townsend, Alan R., "Intentional versus unintentional nitrogen use in the United States : trends, efficiency and implications", Biogeochemistry 114 (2013): 11-23, DOI:10.1007/s10533-012-9801-5, https://hdl.handle.net/1912/6157
The following license files are associated with this item:
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Ardiel, Evan L.; Kumar, Abhishek; Marbach, Joseph; Christensen, Ryan; Gupta, Rishi; Duncan, William; Daniels, Jonathan S.; Stuurman, Nico; Colón-Ramos, Daniel; Shroff, Hari (2017-02)The lack of physiological recordings from Caenorhabditis elegans embryos stands in stark contrast to the comprehensive anatomical and gene expression datasets already available. Using light-sheet fluorescence microscopy ...
Isolation and characterization of bacteria that degrade phosphonates in marine dissolved organic matter Sosa, Oscar A.; Repeta, Daniel J.; Ferrón, Sara; Bryant, Jessica A.; Mende, Daniel R.; Karl, David M.; DeLong, Edward F. (Frontiers Media, 2017-09-26)Semi-labile dissolved organic matter (DOM) accumulates in surface waters of the oligotrophic ocean gyres and turns over on seasonal to annual timescales. This reservoir of DOM represents an important source of carbon, ...
Origin of the deep Bering Sea nitrate deficit : constraints from the nitrogen and oxygen isotopic composition of water column nitrate and benthic nitrate fluxes Lehmann, Moritz F.; Sigman, Daniel M.; McCorkle, Daniel C.; Brunelle, Brigitte G.; Hoffmann, Sharon S.; Kienast, Markus; Cane, Greg; Clement, Jaclyn (American Geophysical Union, 2005-10-12)On the basis of the normalization to phosphate, a significant amount of nitrate is missing from the deep Bering Sea (BS). Benthic denitrification has been suggested previously to be the dominant cause for the BS nitrate ...