Buzzards Bay Coalition’s Baywatchers Program Data Sets
Buzzards Bay Water Quality Data from the Buzzards Bay Coalition’s Baywatchers Program Overview
The Buzzards Bay Coalition’s Baywatchers Monitoring Program collected summertime water quality information at more than 150 stations around Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts from 1992 to 2018. Baywatchers monitoring data document nutrient-related water quality and the effects of nitrogen pollution. The large majority of stations are located in sub-estuaries of the main Bay, although stations in central Buzzards Bay and Vineyard Sound were added beginning in 2007. Measurements include temperature, salinity, Secchi depth and concentrations of dissolved oxygen, ammonium, nitrate + nitrite, total dissolved nitrogen, particulate organic nitrogen, particulate organic carbon, ortho-phosphate, chlorophyll a, pheophytin a, and in lower salinity waters, total phosphorus and dissolved organic carbon. The Baywatchers dataset provides a long-term record of the water quality of Buzzards Bay and its sub-estuaries. The data have been used to identify impaired waters, evaluate discharge permits, support the development of nitrogen total maximum daily loads, develop strategies for reducing nitrogen inputs, and increase public awareness and generate support for management actions to control nutrient pollution and improve water quality.
This database should be considered an interim product representing the status of the Buzzards Bay Coalition’s Baywatchers water quality database as of the date contained in the file name. This database is provided as a structured reference Excel table in the “.xlsx” format. The structured format will enable easy filtering of data and exporting of the data into other formats.
- Rachel W. Jakuba, Buzzards Bay Coalition
- Tony Williams, Buzzards Bay Coalition
- Christopher Neill, Marine Biological Laboratory, and Woods Hole Research Center
- Joseph E. Costa, Buzzards Bay National Estuary Program
- Richard McHorney, Marine Biological Laboratory
- Lindsay Scott, Marine Biological Laboratory, and Woods Hole Research Center
- Brian L. Howes, School for Marine Science and Technology
- Hugh Ducklow, Marine Biological Laboratory; Present address: Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
- Matthew Erickson, Marine Biological Laboratory; Present address: National Science Foundation
- Mark Rasmussen, Buzzards Bay Coalition
This data has been provided by Rachel Jakuba, Buzzards Bay Coalition, (email@example.com), and Tony Williams, Buzzards Bay Coalition- Director of Monitoring Programs, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Water Quality Database
(Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 2020-05-04)The Buzzards Bay Coalition’s Baywatchers Monitoring Program collected summertime water quality information at more than 150 stations around Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts from 1992 to 2018. Baywatchers monitoring data document ...